Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday's Mishaps

     I am really just starting out in fused or warm glass.  Therefore, I make a lot of mistakes.  It is mostly due to my inert curiosity and need for experimentation that mishaps occur.  Other time, it is simple because I don't understand the materials or firing schedule.

      Of course I have an automatic kiln ( Skutt Hotshot Pro) but sometimes I want a little more or a little less fusing in order to get the "look" I want.  This requires experimentation.  I would need to learn to program my kiln.  SO, I experiment a lot because I haven't gotten the programming part down quite yet.

         Because I took this out of the kiln last night, I chose it for my first example.  I had programmed the kiln myself this time..  Basically between a full and contour fuse.
  1.  Experimenting with paint and stamp,this came out well for the most part.  My stamp was moved ever so slightly when being placed on the glass causing it to look "beat up a bit". But overall, the color came out nicely after the fuse.
  2. I had 2 miniature snowmen cookie cutters.  I decided to use the large one, so I laid it down onto the glass where I wanted to figure to go.  Then I poured in a little glue, spreading it around the inside area.  Then I filled the area with Champagne small frit and Black adventurine large frit.    Then I sprayed it with a pump hair spray to hold it all together.  Let it dry for approximately 1 hour.
  3. It was then time to put the shelf in the kiln and fire it.  BUT, before I did so, I slipped the cookies cutter off.  The snowman collapsed on me ;(  I straighted it back up and spread some frit around it with snow to give it a look that said winter!  
  4. After removing it from the kiln, I cried, then chuckled.  I had learned something new....
        •  let the glue dry and cure before removing the shape, 
        • A freeze fuse piece would not only work better, but would have been easier.  This will be my next experiment, 
        • fired Champagne frit looks like dirty snow.
        • The fuse schedule seem to work just fine.  I have used it on other projects as well.--no complications,
                                                            Joan




Stay tune for the Wednesday's Work to see the revised editionl.

No comments:

Post a Comment