Sunday, November 8, 2015

Getting hooked on glass

     About 12 years ago, I took a glass blowing class because I was curious.  What a blast!  It was so interesting to learn and practice this art method.  Of course, a hot shop (to work in molten glass) is needed--along with all the equipment to create glass art using this method.  This type of set up wouldn't fit in my garage or my budget.

      The next step was warm glass or glass fusing.  Using this method, art is created using pieces of cold glass then put into a kiln and fired at high temperatures to melt and fuse the glass pieces together.

      My first fusing class was 11 years ago.  Again special equipment and materials were needed to practice this glass method.  This time, the equipment would fit in my garage, but my budget didn't allow it!

       10 years later, after I retired from teaching elementary school, I signed up to take a stained glass class.  Once again, I was hooked on working with glass as an art medium.  After about 6 months, I decided I wanted to buy a kiln and work with warm glass, too.

       Now, I have a garage that makes a nice (although small) studio equipped with a kiln, grinder, wet saw, soldering iron, glass, and a large work table.

        I love working with glass despite hands that are continually cut, swollen, and raw.  I am learning to wear gloves and protective gear, so things are getting better.

        However, it didn't take long for my studio and house to be over run with glass art (or mistakes).  I needed to find an outlet for all of the finished pieces or stop creating.  I gave away as many pieces as I could to people who would appreciate my style (a little wacky and whimsical).  But, my shelves are still running over.

         The obvious solution to me was to enter an Arts and Crafts show and try to sell some pieces.  At least, I could earn enough to purchase more supplies in order to feed my habit.  Well, the show hasn't taken place (Dec. 3 in St. Augustine, FL), so I have even MORE glass art around the house.

        As far as I remember, I have never sold any of my art, so this should be interesting.  I have set up a store at Seazening.wazala.com where I feature some of my art.

       Stay tuned to Seazening with Glass as I take the journey into Glass Artistry.

Monday Maybes:  I will cover my experiments on Mondays.  What I did, what worked, what didn't.

Wednesday's Works:  I will post new pieces I am working on.

Friday's Finale:  I will post recently created pieces with comments.

Joan







No comments:

Post a Comment